Monday, December 05, 2005

Just Spin It

Cafe Night was a success as always. This was my first year not being involved. I attended and had a consulting position, as far as making sure things got done. The acts were more diverse than they were when I helped organize, which is a good thing... this being the 11th Cafe Night, the new people took it back to how it was when it started. For a while, it was just hip-hop and R&B acts. For those who don't know, Cafe Night is a show put on every semester at Cooper. Its in its 3rd generation now, as far as organizers... 6th year and going strong.

Talked to some friends at Uno's after Cafe Night on Saturday, the usual celebration spot. All I did was have a drink, because the 20 person bill is always a disaster... people duck out before the bill comes and don't leave enough to cover their portion... I've had my share of making up the difference... so now I just get something at the bar. Anyway, we were talking about what seems to be a new trend. The topic of conversation was being different - not working, starting something up, going against the norm, being young, travelling, and not being a slave to work. I asked, "Is this a new thing???" I definitely thought I'd be working now, but maybe I'm apprehensive about starting my own thing because I've been programmed to think differently. The concensus was that this is a new thing. I mean, just think about what you are worth... in a society like this, where good ideas can make millions (like facebook)... the backgrounds many of us have can bring in much more money than the salaries we'd make working for someone else. All you need is a good idea, and then its about being smart in terms of getting it in motion. E said, "The older people are laughing at us, becuase from a business perspective, I'd want to bring in at least double what someone is costing me." Youth is on our side... tons of ideas. So if I pay someone 25k, I want their work to bring in 50k+. Bottom line, you're work brings in more for a company than they are willing to pay you. Be your own company... it is, by concensus (3 young black men) the new way of thinking. My father even said, "Justin, I grew up thinking you get an education, go to work, and provide for your family... and that is it, but i know different now." (being an accountant, he of course watches other people's money, and from what he has seen, what he was taught is not the best route, though it is the default one). So he has engrained this new way of thinking into me, because many of his clients went against the norm.

SQ mentioned the college experience and looking back. Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but even if I were to do things differently, knowing what I know now, I feel like I'd end up in the same situation. These type of thoughts are life altering, and we're at the point where decisions now can affect where we go in life... scary but exciting as well. I watched The Time Machine the other night... and no matter how he tried to go back in time and change things to save his fiancee from her fate, she still died, at the same instant in time, just in different ways. Changing the past might just be a different route to the same ending... And that ties back into your passion. These questions, such as the ones I read in SQs blog, are exactly what lead us to where we will end up... even if they are unanswered now. I'm just glad I'm asking them now.

Changing subjects, I gave Teedra Moses a listen. Record Companies suck. I couldn't even find her on the iTunes Music Store. What's the point of getting signed to a label if they aren't going to do anything for you? Can you imagine all the talent out there that you don't know about, and are missing out on? The Music Biz is broken.

Back in school, we'd meet girls from neighboring schools. Girls always received nicknames as we got to know them better. Sometimes it took a few weeks, sometimes they got the nickname the same night... but we knew not to force it and that the perfect one would come along. We met this girl named Suzette at a party, and she could dance her ass off. Her nickname, made the same night, was Tale Spin... very fitting, especially since the town in Tale Spin is called Cape Suzette. I told that story to lead into this... if I could identify myself with any cartoon character, it would be Wildcat from Tale Spin. Now my social skills are a little better than his are, but he's in his own world. I zone out from time to time... but under pressure, things will get fixed. He could fix anything.

~JL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home