Friday, December 02, 2005

Just keep it on the down low???

"Today's Invention is Tomorrow's History"

Thom Mayne, a renowned architect, and the selected architect for Cooper Union's new building was on Charlie Rose tonight. Very interesting person. I listened to him speak to the student body, but of course tonight I learned a lot more about him. The quote at the top, something he said on the show tonight, had me thinking...

Way back in the early 90s, I asked my dad, "What do you think its going to be like in the year 2000." Now, the answer I expected included flying cars (still want to know where they are)... but he said, "Its going to be exactly how things are now."

Of course we can look back and see how far we've come over the past decade, but for the most part, his point for saying that is, when you take things one day at a time, as we all do, yesterday is not much different than today at all. Things don't feel any different, we just know they are because we compare now to then, a 10 year difference.

They say the masses are asses, and I have to agree. Without getting into a long discussion about mass culture, I will say that we are fed whatever is being currently talked about in society. Its something you will notice if you pay careful attention to things that are going on. Recently, I have seen a large number of shows on TV embracing homosexuality. Its not surprising, its just that I've lived through a significant amount of the discourse. Shows like Next on MTV, and even some episodes of Made (I've only seen previews, I have to defend that I am not a couch potato)... Its being talked about and shown so freely, that its almost as if its being fed to us. I assume my audience is my age and slightly older, imagine what this is doing to those in high school. Being impressionable by what is on television just shows how powerful television is.

Then to augment this, I was listening to Michael Basement ("That's right I said it") on the radio the other day... and he was talking about men on the DL. Antoher subject that has been talked about a lot recently. I CANNOT BELIEVE some people calling in actually believe that 50%+ of men are on the DL. Of course, their experiences may cause them to believe that, but just guessing, and being generous, I can't believe any more than 25%. I don't doubt its going on, or that its a problem... but if its as big as 50%, then I say all of those men should just be gay and leave the good women to men like me. My aunt and I talked about whether a man with a woman, or a man with a man is more of a betrayal than the other. The conclusion we came to is that they are not on the same level. A man cheating with a woman is solely a matter of trust. A man cheating with a man is a matter of trust, and means you really didn't know him.

So what does this relate to the above quote? Absolutely nothing... I just kept typing. But the quote for me represented changes... something new becomes a part of society and eventually becomes something old. Society is like a big blob accepting new things... slowly, but eventually. Is homosexuality on its way to being accepted? Hard for me to really say, but I see myself as being in a generation caught in the middle, meaning the generation before us is much more against it than we are... and based on what I've seen recently on TV, and heard on the radio, the generation behind us will likely accept it, or will accept it more easily... only because I know how powerful images are. Now, NO image is powerful enough to make me turn gay, BUT at the same time, I didn't see it at all while I was growing up. So what's going on now? Is television making this the cool thing to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home