Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Just Like GWB

I love funnel cake. Trips to Great Adventure always meant we would have funnel cake when we were leaving. You can imagine how pleased I am that IHOP conveniently sells funnel cake now. Its very close to home, and I can eat it until I get tired of it.

I had to work tonight to supervise a job. The location was 30 minutes from here. On my way back I spoke to my brother on the phone, and once we were done I realized it was 10:30 and I had not had dinner yet... and I remember IHOP is right at my exit, so it was a very easy decision to make. Now I'm not condoning funnel cake for dinner... that is very bad... in fact I won't sit here and write that I ate funnel cake for dinner, but I will say that I'm eating it now and it tastes gooooooood.

The work politics have begun. It was only a matter of time. The position I have right now isn't very glamorous, but it is high exposure. The good thing about it is that when things go wrong, people understand, and when things go well, they go amazingly well... so now that my co-worker is gone people are coming from left and right to try and take the position that I should naturally, and have already started to be in. Its pretty funny to watch... I came up with this technique...

The ones that want the position need to ask manager permission first of course, but also need to show that they know what's going on in the lab... so they come to me and say... "copy me on all your meetings and keep me updated on the lab schedule." They are in senior positions so I can't say no, but if I just complied they would eventually take my information and disseminate it as if its their own... so I respond, "sure, in fact, I'll keep everyone aware of what is going on." That way, I'm the only one disseminating information, and everyone can see that. My plate is pretty full at work already, and this politics stuff is something I don't want to deal with, but its the subtle things that make the most difference. At first I thought I was overanalyzing, but I really see things happening, so I'm trying to take pre-emptive action like GWB.

~JL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home