Monday, July 10, 2006

Just be Humble

Today was my first day running the show at work. I think I did pretty well. Of course, everything that could go wrong did, but in situations like that, damage control means more than the intended original outcome. Everyone understands that ish happens, what sets you apart from the rest is how well you deal with it.

We had a going-away lunch for my co-worker. I can tell he's really excited to be going home. He's from Michigan and he's driving up there tomorrow morning bright and early. He said its going to take 18 hours. That's way out of my range. 4 hours is my limit. I've already decided my car may never see NJ because that drive is supposedly 24 hours... no thanks.

I think I'm going to drive to Dallas after all. It breaks my 4 hour limit (4.5 hrs) but it shouldn't be that bad. It just seems too close to really justify flying, and it will save a lot of money, and I won't have to rent a car when I get there. Leaves more money to shop as well. I think its the right decision, even if it costs 9 hours as well.

We have an MBA intern on our team from Stanford. He is very bright... BUT, there are some noticeable problems. He comes off as being very... show-offy... but the funny thing is that he does it in such a way that it isn't very obvious. He is talented in a sense that he chooses his words very well and quickly, he can lead conversations where he wants them to go, and he has a very good memory... He's making an impact because people know his name and personality aside, people have good things to say about him, but I guess he's one step away from gaining my complete respect. He just isn't humble enough... and if its one thing I've learned here its that being humble is what separates good employees from great employees. MBA and Stanford come up in every other sentence. I'm not jealous... it just looks really bad after a while... yes its impressive at first, but it gets old very quickly.

There is one person I know here who is in the highest non-executive technical position we have. I was asking about him and I was told... "He is responsible for a lot of the core infrastructure architecture, but he would never say so." I asked why and they said, "that's just how he is." Meanwhile, people noticed his accomplishments anyway and he's all the way at the top. In contrast I know someone else who feels he has to make sure everyone knows his accomplishments. Don't get me wrong, he is one of the best technical people I know, but he just isn't very humble. I think his promotions are deserved technically, but are mostly a result of him not being able to work well on a team. Things have to be done his way, which is usually right, but it turns team members off about working with him. I think his lack of being humble is what is keeping him one level below the top technical position. Managers continue to give him something to strive for, but also know that him being in that position would completely change his mentality (even more negatively). He's always throwing around his experience, "I've been here 16 years, I know what I'm talking about"... yes, those people exist, and I'm glad to know him because I know how to work with them, even though its not very easy. That's my lesson for today. Those who exalt themselves are humbled, and those who humble themselves are exalted... (that is in the Bible somewhere). The best analogy is arriving at a dinner celebration and sitting at the head of the table without knowing what or who the occasion is for. Its always better to be humble BECAUSE if the event is for you, you'll be exalted and told to sit at the head... but if its not for you... you're in the clear. Conversely, if you sit at the head and its not for you... you're going to look really stupid moving to another seat.

That's it for today...

~JL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home