Sunday, July 09, 2006

Just Extreme

I have an extra ticket to my cousin's performance in Dallas. If anyone knows someone in that area that might be interested let me know. Don't want a ticket to go to waste.

Today is sports day. I'm watching the Wimbledon Men's finals now and then its the World Cup. I'm not too excited, but it is more sports than I watch... or look forward to regularly.

I've been watching the Discovery channel lately. Maybe its the geek in me, but I love Extreme Engineering... if its one thing that won't ever change, its that I am an engineer. The latest episode was about a building called Sky City. As with most of the extreme engineering projects, all plans and problems associated with the project have been thought about and solved, but there are currently no plans on the horizon to actually build the structure. Sky City is a 2/3 mile tall building that will solve Tokyo's population problems. The building's footprint would be 30 acres, and its designed to have everything including living areas, offices, malls and stores of all kinds. They said that currently an individual in Tokyo spends 2-4 hours commuting each day, which equates to approximately 5 years of their life being taken from them. Sky City would allow all commuting to be done within the building, and while not necessary, it would be possible for an individual to live cradle to grave witohut ever leaving the building.

I found it interesting. The other project I really like is the transatlantic tunnel. I don't know if I've ever mentioned it before, but through the use of a vacuum (no air resistance) and magnetic levitation trains, travel between New York and London in this tunnel would take less than 1 hour. All the technology for these projects exist, they are just so extreme that its really impossible for any entity to finance them.

Sky City
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/engineering/skycity/interactive/interactive.html

Transatlantic Tunnel
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/engineering/transatlantictunnel/interactive/interactive.html

~JL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home