Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Just On My Way Out

This is my last computer related task before my computer gets packed. It still hasn't really hit me yet. But the days are definitely getting longer... as it is now 1:30am and I'm watching some pre-recorded CSI as I try and finish things up. My packing is getting efficient but I've had to add two more boxes than I originally planned... luckily shipping costs are surprisingly cheap. FedEx Ground gets them there at under $30 per box. I think that is very reasonable, and they should arrive within 3 days.

The window FedEx gave me for pick-up is Tuesday between 12 and 5. I'll be taking care of washing and packing clothes during that time, since clothes are coming with me on the plane. I went shopping with my aunt tonight, and as we were looking at CDs in Borders, I remembered a song I heard on the radio recently. I'm a big Michael Jackson fan, as far as entertainment goes of course, but I have yet to listen to half of the songs he has made. The song I'm referring to, he always says, "Heartbreak hotel," but apparently its called "This Place Hotel." I finally found it, and acquired it, and I'm enjoying it right now. Maybe I'm just really late with hearing it, but I'm glad I finally discovered it.

Keeping on the subject of music, my dad is probably the biggest Bob Marley fan ever. He tells me stories of course, and he is a great story teller. Apparently, years ago when he was a teenager, he and my mom went to see a Bob Marley concert at a university in England. Now, my parents have come a very long way. They came here after just getting married and have done extremely well for themselves... I'm happy to try and take things to the next level, and thankful for the decisions they have made which ultimately provided me with the opportunities I had. That was a tangent, but it had to be said. Back in England, they were just students at a Bob Marley concert. My dad is an accountant and has a client that is friends with the designer of the new Tuff Gong Clothing line, which was started by one of Bob Marley's sons Rohan Marley. Over the summer, we were all invited to the private clothing line release party. All the brothers (Stephen, Ziggy, Damian and Rohan) were there and they performed for us. It was a great night. My dad said, "Justin, I must have done really well... the last time I saw a Marley perform I was standing on a crowded cafeteria table in England... and now I'm here at a private concert with his sons." Its amazing that that sort of contrast can be made within a lifetime. Its effectively one of the ways he can measure how he has elevated his status over the years. Its just something I thought was interesting... and I brought it up after all this time because he went to another private party the other night, and actually got to have a conversation with Rohan Marley. I can only imagine what that must have been like... to speak privately to the son of someone you respect and admire so much, who is actively (along with his brothers) continuing the legacy of their father. As Rohan said to my father, "We cannot disgrace him." As I get ready to leave, all I can say is, I won't either.

~JL

Don't know when my next entry will be, but it will be from Arkansas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home