Saturday, December 31, 2005

Just Looking Back

Some thoughts on this year and a look to the future. I'm not ready to make resolutions yet, though I know I'm running out of time.

At the dinner table on Christmas, we each reflected on the good and bad of the past year. For me, graduation was definitely a high point. It was the symbolic closing of one chapter, and beginning of another. Of course I had no idea that the new chapter would be living at home for 6 months, but no complaints, it was great while it lasted.

Today, I examined how I came to be where I'm at now over the course of a year. I started interviewing a little over a year ago... and those companies I will list and discuss briefly.

Port Authority - I did it to see what would happen, and it was my first interview. It was good practice.

Citigroup - Went second round for a job that is mostly programming, even though I don't like programming. I would have caught on fast enough, I am good at it, I just don't enjoy it. I learned that I need to show I have a clearer idea of my goals during the interviews, and to be careful what I say. I was asked where else I interviewed - saying Port Authority definitely doesn't show that I know what I want to do.

Texas Instruments - I interviewed for a project engineering position that wanted more experience than I had. It was good they brought me in to talk, but again, in retrospect, it would not have been something I enjoyed. I really wanted to work with RFID, and they have a big development division BUT that wasn't the division I was applying to. I at least saw it as a foot in the door, but what I have is 10x better now.

Verizon - they were interviewing me for a management position. I was excited, but again, they wanted more experience than I had.

Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce - I had an internship there summer before sophomore year. I was excited about the interview. It was for a position I was overqualified for, it wasn't paying my target either, but again I'm confident enough in my skills that I knew I'd move up fast enough. They said no though, possibly because of what I was undoubtedly going to do - if they gave me the job at that salary, I would keep looking and leave when I found a higher paying one, and that could have been weeks later.

This company - honestly exactly what I want to be doing right now. Not exactly the most ideal geographic location, but everything else, including cost of living is great (compared to NY). I was very specific with RFID on this resume, because with all my time to think, I knew that's something I want to work with and learn more about. I honestly think they didn't need me, but their RFID team is small and they were looking to bring on a new, young mind. I really think I'm supposed to go, since I don't have a relationship right now to keep me here, its a technology I want to work with, a great company, and I had to wait so long and hear so many NOs first.

So this year is all about self-development. The biz plan is done and ready for execution, I'm moving south... I won't have as much free time as now, but I'm going to go to the gym more (great company facilities), and I may start taking some classes (good way to meet people) at the University of Arkansas. Lets me chip away at my masters since I already have some credit towards it.

Last night I went to a mini high school reunion. I saw some people I haven't seen since graduation. It was a lot of fun. Some people (one person really, not me) had too much to drink. It was good seeing that person in particular though, its been a while (too long).

Screen name change is coming soon. I have to think of something really good that doesn't have the year at the end - I did that because its my graduation year, but that's all done now. Any ideas?

~JL

1 Comments:

Blogger POPS said...

congrats on the new gig. "just" come up with something.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home