Thursday, December 15, 2005

Just in Harlem

Spent some time with friends in Harlem last night... always a good time. Great food at a soul food restaurant called Copeland's. I am a Catfish fan. If its on the menu, I'm having it... I have yet to have catfish I didn't enjoy... each place is noticeable different, but always good.

Things I learned last night...

Don't expect the A train to run express just because its supposed to.

Somewhere between the year 1999 and 2001 (high school graduating classes), generally, the internet went from a nice tool to a necessity... I'll explain:

- During school, if my internet went out, I felt empty. I felt like there was nothing I could do with my computer. Minutes and sometimes hours of terrible waiting for connectivity to return, then, when it finally did, I opened AIM, checked my email, and then went and did some work. The internet has become a pacifier. I need to know its there. Most people don't need to check e-mail at 3AM in the morning, I don't have to usually... but if 3AM rolls around, I want to know that I CAN check it. I would say its an addiction, except I can go days without being on the internet... I just need to know its there for when I do need it.

Yet, I'll speak to friends about 2 years older than me, and they don't feel that need. Some use the internet at work, and don't need it at all at home... even after 4 years of constant broadband connectivity at school. I don't understand.

Last, and possibly a premature statement, but solely based on conversation last night, I am against Sanaa Lathan's new movie, "Something New". Somewhat contradictory to my earlier entry "Just Crashed" from October which touched on interracial relationships... I just don't want to see a movie about it. The comment made by a girl in the convo last night was, "Now you'll know how we feel." If that's the case, if that's the reason for the movie, then fine, I feel for women (I already did)... but the "you" in that sentence, referring to "me"... is EXACTLY what the problem is... stereotypes. Of course she didn't mean me personally, but she meant men in general... and while I'm a man, I can't say I want to be associated with the "man" stereotype... because it sucks. I try and be the best man possible yet I'm immediately at a disadvantage because of men that have done black women wrong enough times to make them date outside of the race. Yes, I'm talking about when black women are DRIVEN to dating outside the race.

Being totally honest, and I never write with the intent to offend anyone, this is just me... when I see a Black woman with a White man... a few things go through my mind. First I wonder, "What is she doing?" because usually its a FINE black woman. Now I know that reaction isn't the best, but it immediately changes to me realizing that its not her fault... its our fault as Black men (generally) but I'd say mainly its the fault of the stereotype applied to us Black men. Now speaking from the standpoint of how I thought when I wrote "Just Crashed," I will take people as they come. My preference is dating within my race, but I do think it is ignorant to cross everyone else off the list, because as much as you can be firm in your decisions, you can meet someone the next day that changes everything for you... so while I have my opinions, I'll be sure not to judge any book by its cover.

Step up your game fellas... we're losing our queens. I'll be damned if someone drives my would be future queen to the other side.

~JL

1 Comments:

Blogger POPS said...

now that's just heartfelt

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home