Monday, November 07, 2005

Just Turn Yourself In

I watched CSI tonight. Lesson learned... if you even begin to think about committing a serious crime, you might as well go straight to the police station and turn yourself in. It saves you time, it saves the system money, and it may save a life.

I went to some open houses in the area yesterday... and one of the realtors invited me to go to career day at the High School. I agreed, because I want to reach out to teenagers and answer any questions they may have. Its the same high school my brother goes to... so I let him know that I'd be at career day. He said, "Justin, they're going to tear you apart... you don't have a career... don't you remember what happened to Carlton on the Fresh Prince?" Well for anyone that remembers that episode, he had a point... but the point of me going to career day is more than just talking about a career or a potential career... its about talking about Engineering in general, from the perspective of someone who has completed the degree. I went into college not really knowing what engineering is all about, and I suspect a lot of people do. Maybe I can help clarify things for them.

I was at a client tonight doing some tech support for them. Now, I'm good, but this problem came down to one of Dell's products. I normally don't mention names, but I'm calling them out. The last thing I wanted to do was call them, because I know where I'd get connected... and my level of proficiency is higher than the people I'd get connected to, so thank you Dell for wasting my time, and my client's money.

My take on outsourcing... most things work like a sine wave (engineering talk). Yes, for now its cheaper to outsource, but eventually the companies outsourcing their work, like Dell in this case, will require an addition to their service that the company overseas will either not have, or will charge too much for. I can't think of an example, but eventually the time will come where it is cheaper to do things in house than to outsource the work. Another reason outsourcing won't last... people like me are tired of being connected overseas. I'd rather deal with a company that I know has the support I require... and won't ship my call off to another country because they'd rather not pay to deal with it here. That's not customer service.

~JL

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Q said...

I agree. I hate calling India. You know I almost cursed out a Sprint rep before. She was a little rude thang. A liar too. I would've choked her if I could reach her - and I'm not a violent person. But, the company I work for outsources... I don't like it.. .but I guess better a company that outsources than the gov't, lol.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home