Sunday, November 06, 2005

Just Appreciative

Most of what my brother and I say to each other comes from something funny we heard on TV. The rest of the time we're original, but we are the only ones that understand our humor. My brother and I think alike, so when situations occur, it would remind us of a particular story. Sometimes, he would start telling me a story he already told me and I would say, "You already told me that, why don't you go get kidnapped and have some new stuff happen to you?" - Chris Rock said that one. Anyway, I haven't blogged in a while, because I guess I had to live a little before I wrote some more. I'd like to write every night, but I'm trying to keep it interesting.

Today I went to go see the Lion King. It was a wonderful performance. It made me realize that there are a lot of talented people out there. Sometimes we get really caught up in what we do, and we don't fully appreciate or realize the work and lives of other people. Like the people I saw tonight, who live to dance, sing and tell stories. They've made it their craft and do it extremely well. I appreciate it so much more because I know it is something I cannot do as far as my passion and training goes... but it is something I enjoy and will support.

What about engineers, teachers, historians, or accountants? Every career is necessary regardless of what people may think or say about them. I can't stand History personally, but I understand its worth, and I had a very good history teacher once, so at least I took general lessons from it as opposed to dates and events. For example, this teacher in particular never let us use a textbook because it usually only gives one side of a story, and if its American History, you'd see where I'm coming from. He made us go and get various credible online sources and piece the stories together ourselves, or for ourselves, so that we can talk about it critically instead of from memory.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you have an opportunity to broaden your horizons, take it. The Lion King is entertainment, but I'm talking about travel, volunteer work, public speaking, anything that can give you an experience you're not used to, that way it can help you understand things or people you have not been exposed to. I'm not a kid anymore, but I'm sure going to see a show like the Lion King at a young age may have stimulated me to take a different route. So lets extend this... how are we going to expose children to all these different experiences? Especially those who do not have the opportunities to go? I always wonder in the back of my mind... that child may grow up to be one of the best astrophysicists ever, but no one ever took her to the planetarium... so she ends up in a dead end job, never fully realizing what it is she wants to do. It seems extreme, but its not. I became an Electrical Engineer ultimately because I attended my cousin's graduation from MIT, where I first found out what an engineer is. I have a friend who became a Mechanical Engineer ultimately because of her experience on a roller coaster. Yes, we have to get the children early, when their minds are receptive, and when an interest can develop into a passion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home