Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Just got a Story to tell

This story gets pretty personal... so don't be surprised.

There's been something wrong with my throat since late last week. I was going to give it time to see if it got better but it didn't, so yesterday (my b-day), I set up an appointment to see a doctor (a good continuation from the last blog I wrote).

I got there, and described my symptoms. They did a test for strep throat and it came back positive. The doctor came to give me the news, then asked me if I wanted a shot. I said, "A shot of what?" Penicillin.

I said that's cool. The doctor said it was either a shot or 10 days worth of taking pills. I said, I can endure a little pain to not have to deal with pills. She said the nurse will be back in with the shot in a few minutes.

The nurse comes in, I took off my watch and stuck out my arm. Nurse says, "Have you ever had a penicillin shot before?" I said no. She said, "Well, the shot is administered in the rear."

WHAT!?!?!?

That was my reaction. She explined why, and that its a thick shot that needs to go into a large muscle. I'm no punk, I just wanted to get it over with, so I undid my belt and said "Lets get this over with."

It hurt... a lot.

Lesson learned, I've done it once, I'm not doing it again. Always ask where the shot goes before agreeing to it, and maybe taking 10 days worth of pills isn't that much of an inconvenience (if there is a choice). Learn from my mistake everybody.

~JL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home