Sunday, May 14, 2006

Just Individual

I really like the new India Arie song. It took me a while to actually listen it, even though a friend let me know about it a while back. See, now you all have to let me know about new music, because there is no way for me to find out down here, and I refuse to turn to BET as a source.

The song says a lot though. I'm not a big fan of Akon, but when he said, "I didn't see success until I cut it all off," its a major point that our youth and society does need to see. It makes me wonder if songs like this do have an impact on people besides those like me who know there is a problem with how we are viewed in society. I just like how India is talking about something that doesn't seem to be talked about. My sister has been going through it too, saying she wants a perm. She's young for that, but some people do look at hair to define what they think they know about someone, and as we all know, skin color is an extension of that. I grew my hair since the beginning of college, and right before junior year I cut it all off because I really did think it was stopping me from landing an internship. Whether that was the case or not, I knew it had the potential to stop me from getting one, so I cut it anyway. A good friend of mine confirms the same, but he says that he refuses to cut his off for that reason.

Another good friend rnb wrote a long report once about Egyptians and the "wigs" they wore. A major question in doing his research was, why would people in such a hot climate wear wigs? We are taught it on a daily basis, and we know how amazing a culture they were, but it just doesn't make any sense. Perhaps that was their real hair. Perhaps they were braiding it the same way we continue to braid ours today. Perhaps they were Black. Apparently, it turns out that he was able to at least change one professor's mind about the Egyptians, so as far as I'm concerned, he was successful.

A guess the larger point here is, you define who you are. I'm glad this song is out there. For me it is an example of what music should be. Doesn't always have to have a profound message, or life lesson, it should just be without negativity, because we need to be mindful that impressionable minds are listening. And that which is entertainment for you and me, is seen as reality for those younger. Another good friend brought up the concept of reality recently... and while reality is defined as an absolute, since the definition is for humans, the truth is, reality is an absolute that everyone has a different idea of. Meaning reality is relative. Reality for teenagers is possibly what is said in the songs they hear on a daily basis, or how they act, dress and talk in the music videos. Whereas reality for me and others is paying bills, relationship development, or self-development. Lets give our young people a more realistic reality.

I am not my hair, nor am I "defined" by my skin color. Those may be the frst things you see, and you will develop expectations, but don't define me by your expectations. I look really young (I personally don't think so, but people tell me daily). So I may look like a teenager, or someone in college. Because I work in a lab, I go to work in jeans and a t-shirt. It is easy for someone to look at me and have low expectations. I don't mind, and I don't even mind when I can tell people are viewing or treating me with those low expectations... because I know what the truth is, and the people who matter know who I really am. I think I mentioned this quote a long time ago. I don't know who said it. "Always be true to yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind."

Learn your history
Be true to your culture
Be true to yourself

Most importantly, do not confuse stereotypes with culture. I think that has been happening a lot lately. Someone once said I wasn't black because I don't talk like they do, or the way that person expected me to talk. I won't go into that futher, I'm sure I've talked about it before... I just think that if this idea of individuality is really embraced, then some problems that exist today will fade away. Of course individuality starts with you, but the problem here is how people view you... so it is up to all of us to not judge someone by their appearance, their color, or their hair... as easy as it may be.

~JL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home