Monday, April 24, 2006

Just Find Your Cause

I realized that I need something to keep me occupied after work, but I decided I will not use this as a venue to commit myself to a project that I will not complete. However, I have been trying to work something out.

A few times when I watched Charlie Rose, I saw successful CEOs or rich actors and actresses talking about the organizations they help fund and support. In many cases, the support for these organizations came out of being personally affected. For example, a relative with breast cancer would prompt you to financially support finding a cure for it.

There is nothing wrong with that, my thing is why wait for it? Back when I was in NY I was approached to walk for breast cancer, and support other major causes that need support, but I didn't. That doesn't mean I don't think its important, but I can guarantee if a close relative had it, I'd be walking with everyone else. So what I'm striving for is a change of mentality.

My point is, find your cause. It doesn't have to be everything, just pick something that you can help bring positive change to. My favorite organization right now is VH1 Save the Music. I don't need to tell you that I love music, but music is dying, literally. Without talking about the low quality of content prevalent on the radio, music programs are being cut from school curriculum all over the country. Can I have a Black teen be an aspiring violinist for a change? We have more aspiring rappers than we have aspiring doctors or lawyers. Maybe if we save the music, some other things will follow? That's for another day. Today, find your cause, and let it be something that drives you.

~JL

"Music Education = Brain Power"
http://www.vh1.com/partners/save_the_music/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home