Sunday, April 30, 2006

Just too much Traffic

I went to Dallas for work last week. I enjoyed it a lot. Dallas has tons to do, which is a big contrast to where I am now. I've been there twice before, once for NSBE, and later for an interview with TI... thier loss :-). Both times, I didn't have time to explore, well, for NSBE I didn't have transportation. So while this was for work, we actually had some time to look around. Makes me wonder what I'm doing here... then I think about how good this position is for my career. Well, should I have chose my career over living in civilization?... I'm used to big cities, having things to do, and using public transportation if I have to. The social scene here is 25 miles away, and while my new peoples are cool, I prefer to drive, because I'm sure I won't drink if my car is in the parking lot, AND I can't possibly leave without me. If I ever get stranded there, I have yet to figure out any way for me to get back home.

If anywhere is in need of public transportation, its right here. The city is growing very fast... if you saw everything going on here, you'd never believe its Arkansas. 15,000+ people commute into and out of this small city on a daily basis. I asked my co-worker what is holding up the process, and he said some things that I had to think about... they make sense, but I had trouble grasping that this was the reason things are taking so long. He said that there is a stigma associated with public transportation, but the bigger the city, the less you'd notice it. In this case, the mentality here is still small town Arkansas, even though the city is growing exceptionally fast (in the top 30 fastest growing counties in the country). So here, public transportation is associated with the lower class... people who cannot afford vehicles. You need a vehicle here, or you can't do anything, so I guess part of the fear is that implementing public transportation will attract lower class citizens. I don't know. What he said makes sense, but I can't get past the fact that as much as public transportation is needed, this is or could be one of the reasons there are no plans in place for it. I'm lucky I live 2 minutes away from where i work, and I can get there using side streets... but I am looking to buy a home at some point, and the last thing I want is to have to wake up an hour or more earlier just to get to work in time because of traffic. If they put public transportation in, I'd be the first to use it... otherwise maybe a better investment than a home is buying a bus and putting up some signs.

I hear thunder... I'll publish before the electricity goes out.

~JL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home