Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Just stop at the Top

Today at work, I had my first ADP (Associate Development Plan) meeting with my manager. They are designed for you to organize what your goals are, career and personal, and for you to develop timelines and measurables for achieving them. It allows your manager to learn more about you, make suggestions for courses of action, and keep you in mind when certain opportunities arise. The overall theme of my ADP was business technology. I'd like to be CTO someday... doesn't matter what company.

I work in a lab, observe technology demonstrations, and run tests. I'm getting a lot of the technology side, but what has been really interesting me is how the technology will be used to make the business better. So I'm trying to tag along with business analysts on my team to see more about what they do, and how they make the decisions they make. At least that was my original plan.

I did some more thinking today, and I may not even have to do all that. Technology deployment from a business perspective is all about understanding processes involved in the business, and making them more efficient. That isn't exactly what my manager said, but that is what he implied, and he is right. Tagging along with business members on my team is good, but as I learned, I was hired to come up with new ideas for technology applications, and in order to do that I need to observe how things operate so that I can identify opportunities to make the processes more efficient. That is what business technology is about. 4 years studying electrical engineering can get very technical, but that doesn't mean anything from a business perspective (depending on the company)... for example, in my position, you can give me tons of specs and impress me with the amazing things technology can do, but I can't consider its use if it doesn't perform the way we want it to, for the applications we have in mind. Bottom line, I want to be that middle person, where I can speak the tech language, but from a very practical, application driven perspective. I see companies slow to adopt technologies that will help them, and some are quick to adopt what will cost more than it will benefit them. I think my place, or career passion, is to be able to distinguish between the two, because I'm confident I'll make the right decisions... I have an eye for that type of thing.

~JL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home