Thursday, March 30, 2006

Just Listening

I watch the Office regularly. Unfortunately, tonight there are severe weather warnings all over the area, and my show kept getting interrupted. I missed most of it as a result. However, they "resumed programming" just in time for the closing credits. As I was getting ready to change the channel, ER abruptly started, and I was pleasantly surprised to here my cousin's song playing on the clock radio in the show. I'm sure its one of those things that if you aren't listening for it, or don't know it, you won't recognize it. About a month ago, a different song of her's was on Grey's Anatomy, and that played for much longer.

I often try and think from her perspective. I don't know her too well, but what I do know is she loves what she does, she is extremely talented, and very humble. To do well in the UK is great, but that's really just a springboard for the US.

This is probably the tipping point. Its easy to have dreams of success and fame, but somewhere along the line it has to become a job if you're getting paid. To get the US market means a lot, but her life is already promotions and shows. A larger market would only make it worse... and then the humble lifestyle and life lessons that made the music as good/likable/relatable as it is, is gone. The life that created the music is so drastically changed that one can argue whether or not the same person is even there. At that point, does the artist see music as an honest expression, or a means to a paycheck? My hope for her is that she doesn't change, and continues to grace us with her honest expressions of the world and life.

~JL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home