Thursday, December 22, 2005

Just Refreshed

Sometimes I know there is a lot on my mind, but I have no idea what to write. So I start listening to some music, and undoubtedly something comes along. Today was Leela James, because I was listening to Lauryn Hill's Miseducation a little earlier, and the only other album I know of with that kind of production is Leela's. (Commissioner Gordon was the main producer on both albums). My favorite on Leela's album is "When You Love Somebody." I heard it and I immediately thought of Lauryn Hill and her sound... for a while I thought Lauryn produced it. Its the oooooo's in the background, and the horns that do it for me.

After reading Dizzy's blog it was somewhat refreshing to know that what I write here has some sense to it. Sometimes I think that what's on my mind is only applicable to my mind, but its even better to know that others can relate. That's what its all about isn't it? We all go through similar experiences, make similar observations... yet at many times we feel our own problems are unique, when the truth is someone you know has been there before and made it through. That's my thing with music. There is a song for every situation out there. Knowing you aren't alone is a big help. It usually doesn't give answers, but at least its consoling.

SQ, sounds like you did the right thing. Letting someone know how you felt looks like it led to good things. Too bad most people don't have that courage, or when they do, I think more often than not, it doesn't lead to such good outcomes... BUT that is no reason to stop trying. See, as Dizzy spoke about, I think its in everyone's best interest to keep things as simple as possible... yeah, you can be cool about it, but why waste time thinking too much?

The best advice my uncle ever gave me was to just be myself, because at that time I was being what I thought the other person wanted me to be. It took a while to learn, but if someone isn't going to like you for you, then both parties are wasting time. And "Me" is not the sterotype, as I've spoke about before. My brother and I grew up differently from others, pretty sheltered. We went between home, school and church. Sometimes we had friends over, sometimes we went to their house, but as far as freedom is concerned, we felt very free while confined to our backyard. Maybe that's how it was for a lot of people, but what I'm getting it is that we've always been supervised, to the point where I don't think there was ever any chance for us to get into any big trouble. One year I signed up for AOL with fake credit card info though but I used my Dad's name and his work office address. Why? I just saw the fields to fill out on the screen to get AOL... I didn't know they were so important, and that I or he would potentially get in trouble for it. I guess I was in 5th or 6th grade at the time. Long story short, they got to the bottom of it, and I didn't really get into much trouble, just knew not to do it again.

I digressed from the point that I don't have. But if I have to make one on the spot, I'll say that as much as stereotypes are applied to a large group of people, and as much as people try to conform to stereotypes, we are all different people... and sometimes the most refreshing thing is to have someone new come up to you and talk to you, as I experienced in Arkansas. Imagine if you can give someone that refreshing feeling, regardless of how they receive it, they'll either become a friend, or you'll never see them again. So lets break out of our shells... if we were all the same, if stereotypes were true, this place would be pretty boring.

~JL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home