Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Just In Arkansas???

Well, I'm back now. I went to Arkansas for reasons I won't discuss just yet... maybe if you contact me directly. I have tons of stories, but I'll only og over a few of the most surprising things.

Northwest Arkansas is booming... I know its Arkansas, but I was surprised... so much new construction it really rememinded me of some areas of Virginia I've been to.

Story #1
I went to Copeland's restaurant by my hotel to get some catfish. I went in and sat at the bar to make a take out order, next to two people who looked about my age. Within seconds of sitting down, one asked me how I was doing. I was SHOCKED. Never has an absolute stranger asked me how I'm doing. Striking up a conversation with someone you don't know??? that's not very New York like - hence my shock. But it was a pleasant surprise... they were cool people, and they bought me a "welcome to Arkansas" shot.

Story #2
My hotel was unique, full of suites. Just enough to be comfortable. There was a room they called "the cupboard" full of snacks, drinks, etc... all with an associated price tag. The woman at the check-in counter said it works by "The Honor System." I was SHOCKED. I didn't know what was more surprising, that they use the honor system, or that everything was still there.

How the honor system developed... originally it was just called the system - everything operated where people would come in and pay the associated amount, without having to be monitored. The day something got stolen, it became the Honor System. Now, it was my belief that after the second time something was stolen, they did away with the honor system, but apparently some parts of the United States still have it... interesting.

Story #3
I only saw 3 Black people (5 if you include the 2 at the airport - but they were at the airport - they weren't staying). It was almost 4 until I realized that I saw the same person twice. That wasn't too surprising though.

Story 4#
It snowed, but its supposed to be 60 degrees by the end of the week.

Can't think of anything else. I figured if another story comes I'll just edit the entry, but I probably won't. It was a good trip though, definitely an eye-opening experience. Its easy to get caught up with the New-York way of life... i.e. GO GO GO GO GO

~JL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home