Monday, February 23, 2009

Sly Fox

At work today, it was brought up that Girl Scout Cookies seem to be taking a turn for the worst. Prices are up, boxes are smaller, and overall people aren't buying many (any) this year. I'm a loyal customer, and even I have stayed clear (peanut butter sandwiches are my favorite).

A co-worker said, "Looks like they're going to have to layoff some girl scouts..."

I'm not too into politics, but I have become increasingly attentive over the past year, as I'm sure most of us have. I find it interesting how the news channels today aren't about objectivity at all. They report the same stories, either from a left or right perspective. Understandably, people watch what they identify with the most. I can figure out the views of an establishment (restaurant, bowling alley, etc), based on the news channel being watched.

I find Fox News interesting. I only watch it for entertainment purposes. During a conversation last week, some interesting points were brought up, that seem to explain why Fox News is the way that it is. This is business.

Fox traditionally is not the conservative network or organization that the commentary and beliefs portray on Fox News. Fox is the network of The Simpsons, Family Guy, and yes Martin Lawrence. Fox saw that there was an un-served demographic and tailored a news channel to serve it.

There is a side-effect however. It does not, to me, come off as being natural. It seems that in order to serve the demographic, they take a far right, border-line extreme view on certain topics. It does not seem to balance with the competitors CNN and MSNBC. It just seems to be overboard. But overall, as far as business goes, very sly... very Fox.

~JL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home