Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Matter of Acceptance

Yesterday was a very interesting day. It was full of mixed feelings, as I learned I was allowed to stay, but had to watch some friends go. The corporate world is an interesting one. Just remember that a job is not guaranteed. Always work to have a cushion or backup plan. If you are fortunate to be working right now, keep that in mind. It is best to be prepared. Hope for the best while preparing for the worst, and remember that He will guide your steps regardless.

After work, I went to a lounge with a few friends. We had a pretty good conversation, and there is one topic I would like to discuss here. We were discussing what progress has been made as it relates to relationships between people. The question was, "How long will it be until people are truly colorblind?"

I responded 25-50 years while my friend believes it will never happen. My response is rooted in the fact that images are extremely powerful. I believe that a Black president, while not being the end of the struggle, is a major step in the right direction. I believe people in general will continue to impress with the amount of progress we are able to make in a 25-50 year time frame. I am an optimist.

My friend believes that it is human nature to find differences and make them meaningful. Such as behaviors in the lunch room, or class distinctions. There will always be differences between people that cause humans to act the way they do today. I don't completely disagree with him, but I do believe that as it relates to race, we will make significant progress, as opposed to never.

I see cascading struggles that we are in the midst of, each with their own time lines. Women equality, Racial equality, and Gay & Lesbian Rights in that order. The difference between rights and equality is whether the law sees them as equal. When the law recognizes all as equal, it is no longer a question of rights, but instead a question of whether people in society treat that group equally. The youngest struggle has a long way to go, and similarly the most resistance at this point in time. I do not fully agree with it, and it is difficult for me to understand. I've been ingrained with what I know to be right, and it is hard for me to come to terms with such a lifestyle. But I do not believe that will be the same for my grandchildren. Acceptance takes time. There is a difference between tolerance and acceptance. I can tolerate all people from all walks of life, as long as they are not actively impacting the life or quality of life of others. However, from society's POV, a group is truly accepted once there is no difference between them and others as it relates to the letter of the law.

With regard to race in America, acceptance is already happening. I am reminded of a little girl on CNN, who did not understand the importance of the moment, the importance of a Black president. She questioned and could not believe that this was the first one. To her, the difference between the color of her skin and his are apparent, but they do not mean anything. A major point I made in the conversation was that I believe these behaviors are learned. Racism is passed down. It often isn't purposeful, but young ones pick up on comments or attitudes toward people. I believe as the generations progress, so will acceptance.

~JL

2 Comments:

Blogger R said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:37 PM  
Blogger R said...

I agree with your timeline. For a more obvious and dumb reason, first of all, in 25-50 yrs, most ppl who were over the age of 7 during the 60's (the the height of racial tension in this country)will be long gone and dead. So will all the other adults who were set in their ways at the time. These are the extreme racists.

Second, this election wasn't won off of race it was won on age. A new more tolerable acceptable generation is rising to political consciousness. Unfortunately most of the power holders today are in the first category.

Third, over the last 15 yrs, interracial marriage, dating, breeding has become so commonplace and will only continue to be exponentially. In 25-50 years, there may not be any minorities, not to mentions you'll be hard pressed to find anyone 100% let alone 50% any one ethnicity. We will have become a nation of hybrids.

Lastly, we have an 8 yr window of the Obama generation. Basically every baby born in the last 4 years and the next 4 will associate the thought "black man" synonymous with the thought of "American President." I remember I was 8 in '88, when 1st Bush was elected president I was so lost. All I knew for 8 yrs up until that point was Ronald Reagan when anyone mentioned "president." Why is he leaving?! Why were we changing?

The baby boomers shifted and control the world today. Imagine what the Obama-Boomers are going to do?

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home